Graduating Seniors Step by Step
In order to graduate with Honors Distinction students must complete 15 honors credit hours consisting of 9-12 honors course hours and 3-6 honors thesis hours and completed honors capstone research or creative project culminating in a written thesis documenting the project while maintaining a 3.5 cGPA. Students who have completed no less than half of his or her degree work at the University of Arkansas and demonstrated exceptional academic performance while completing the Honors Program in the Bumpers College will be recognized at graduation by the honors designations of cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude.
For cum laude, the student must achieve a cumulative U of A GPA of 3.5 to 3.74.
For magna cum laude, the student must achieve a cumulative U of A GPA of 3.75 to 3.89.
For summa cum laude, the student must achieve a cumulative U of A GPA of 3.9 to 4.00.
Step 1: Apply for Graduation
- At the completion of 90 credit hours apply for graduation through UA connect.
Step 2: Complete your required thesis hours
- In order to graduate with Honors, students must complete 3-6 Honors thesis hours. You will not have permission to enroll in thesis hours from UA connect, in order to enroll for Honors thesis hours complete the "Request to Enroll for Thesis Hours Form" and submit it tot he Bumpers College Deans Office front desk and they will manually enroll you into the number of thesis hours you wish to take.
Step 3: Complete your Honors Project
- Work with your Honors mentor to complete your Honors project while following the guidelines provided on the "Thesis and Creative Project" page of the Honors website.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to review thesis formatting and ensure you are meeting minimum requirements.
Step 4: Defend your Honors Thesis
- Coordinate with honors faculty mentor and thesis committee to schedule a defense date, time and location.
- Provide your thesis committee a copy of your completed thesis at least one week prior to your defense date.
- Email email@example.com the date, time and location of your Thesis Oral Defense at least one week prior to your scheduled defense date.
- Provide the Thesis Oral Defense and Examination (Form #3) to your honors departmental representative for completion at your Thesis Oral Defense.
Step 5: Incorporate all revisions and edits to your Honors thesis provided by your thesis committee during your defense.
Step 6: Submit your research to the Discovery Journal
- Undergraduates conducting research in cooperation with a faculty mentor are encouraged to submit their research to the Discovery Journal. Students who have received a Bumpers College Undergraduate Research Grant are expected to submit a paper based on their project.
Step 7: Submit your Honors thesis to the UA Library
- All Honor Students are required to submit a copy of their thesis to the UA library to be entered into the catalog of information. These theses will be searchable through the library information system and available world wide to anyone using the UA library system. Students should submit their thesis to the library only after it has been approved by their committee and project mentor.
Step 8: Attend the Honors Graduation Reception